ENTRY AND LABEL
- This is a competition for home crafted mead. Commercial Meaderies, commercial meadmakers, employees of Commercial meaderies and former commercial meadmakers are not eligible to enter.
- Mead produced on commercial equipment is not permitted, and any such entries will be disqualified. If you have questions please email us at email@example.com
Additional Guidelines for Meaderies in planning entering the Home Competition:
Meadery names may not be used in the home mead maker competition, and they will be omitted from entries.
If you have a meadery business license you cannot compete in the Home Competition.
If you’ve applied to the TTB but have not yet received approval you may compete in the Home Competition. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the date you submitted the application, and the business name so we can verify with the TTB.
If you are deriving any income from mead you produce you are not eligible to compete in the home competition. This includes special event permits to sell “home brew” to benefit a “not for profit” 501c3 organization.
The whole idea here is that if you are entering as a home mead maker, that you produce the mead you enter on home mead making equipment in your home, and that you are not deriving any income from the mead you are making at home.
- Entrants using social platforms or public tasting events to promote amateur meads in a way intended to build value, create publicity or move them into public trading, auctions, secondary market resale, etc. will be disqualified.
- Any and all “Weed/Cannabis/Derivative Mead” entries are prohibited and will be disqualified.
- Butterfly Pea additions and, or, ingredients are prohibited.
- YOU MAY NOT ENTER THE SAME MEAD IN MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY.
- There is a limit of five (5) entries per contestant.
- All entries become the property of the Mazer Cup International Incorporated, and will not be returned.
- An entrant is one or more people submitting an entry. Entrant(s) of a mead must have actively contributed to mixing, fermenting, and bottling an entry. Every entrant must be at least 21 years of age.
- Contestants are limited to five (5) entries in the 2020 MCI Home Competition.
- All entries become the property of the Mazer Cup International and will not be returned. Any questions or disputes will be settled by the competition organizers, and all decisions are final.
- The Mazer Cup International Home Competition is BOTTLE RESTRICTION FREE.
- Please send three bottles, if you send bottles smaller than 10 oz (300 ml) each, please send four.
- We prefer 12 oz beer bottles as they are easier to stack, store and handle, however we will accept whatever bottles you send
- Sending only two bottles will not provide enough mead for category and the BoS judging rounds. If one of the bottles breaks during shipping there is no guarantee there will be enough for subsequent medal rounds. Three bottles ensures enough mead for medal and BoS if your mead progresses that far.
- The official style guidelines for this competition are the 2015 Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) Style Guidelines for Mead, Revision 2015. The BJCP Style guidelines can be found at bjcp.org, and here.
- Every entry must be assigned a particular category and sub-category by the entrant, and according to these guidelines.
- Competition staff is not permitted to categorize entries that arrive unlabeled, illegible or otherwise indiscernible as to the entry category.
- Competition staff (including judges) are not permitted to re-classify or re-categorize incorrectly entered mead.
- Entrants, either as a primary or as a co-entrant, may submit multiple entries per category (only 3 meads per sub-category).
- Please use a rubber band to attach the identification label to each bottle. Entry forms and all three bottle labels for a single entry must have the same information on them.
- Entries in category M1 (Traditional Mead), M2 (Fruit Mead), M3 (Spiced Mead), and M4 (Specialty Mead), must specify carbonation level.
- Entries in sub-category M2 (Other Fruit Melomel), must specify the varieties of fruit used.
- Entries in sub-category M3 (Spiced Mead), must specify the types of spices used.
- Entries in sub-category M4B (Specialty Mead – Historical) and M4C (Specialty Mead – Experimental), must describe the special nature of the mead, whether it is a combination of existing styles, an experimental mead, a historical mead, or some other creation.
- Online registration eliminates the need to submit a paper entry form and will automatically generate bottle identification labels. Paper entries will not be accepted. All entries must be entered via the online entry system, and entries are not guaranteed until they are paid for in PayPal.
- No entries will be accepted at the venue, no exceptions.
- The Home Competition Entry fee is $15.00 per entry. Payment by PayPal is REQUIRED when entering online.
- Entries open on January 3, 2020, 12:00 PM MST
- Entries close on February 28, 2020, 12:00 AM MST
- Judging will be onsite at the Mazer Cup International. Only the top mead from each category will be sent to the Best of Show round. Winners are announced at the Mazer Cup International on TBD, and score sheets are sent out ASAP thereafter.
- Judging will be done blind and the judges will not be exposed to any identifiable information about the mead other than the category and the type of mead it is.
- A panel of at least two judges will judge each entry according to the sub-category in which it was entered.
- Categories may be combined if there are not enough entries in that category.
- In the event that we combine categories, judges will be advised of the original category of the entry and will be instructed to judge the entry according to the original category.
- Final round judges will be BJCP Certified, Commercial Mead Makers and Mead Industry Professionals.
- Competition staff, judges and stewards are permitted to enter, but are not permitted to judge or steward a category for which they are entrants.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals will be awarded in each category; however the competition organizers reserve the right to combine categories for the purposes of awards if fewer than five entries are received in a given category.
- Any entry that gushes excessively will be disqualified.